Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

daisy travels: #limtayinseoul part 1(food alert!)

Late last May;
I embarked on my trip to South Korea, Seoul, for my long-awaited graduation trip!
There was so much anticipation, so much to look forward to.
We(my friend & I) booked our flight & hotel via Expedia which allowed us much savings off our accommodation.
Since it was a trip to reward ourselves, we booked our flight with Asiana Airlines having heard the positive remarks from my Korean friends.
Let's go, Seoul.

Food; the main source of cultural experience.

In-flight Bibimbap (Korean Traditional Mixed Rice) 







Call me a glutton, but the most exciting part of a flight is usually the in-flight meals...right?
I could not miss out on the Bibimbap that my friend recommended.
Mmhmm, it was sure delicious for my tastebuds.

Gimbap (Korean Sushi Roll)

Mini Mandu (Dumplings)



from a homely eatery.

Chicken Dak Galbi (Spicy Stir-fried Chicken with Vegetables)


A dish made up of marinated spicy chicken, vegetables.
And if you need a perfect full meal, add in rice cakes, ramyeon or even rice!




Had it perfectly done up with 2 plates of ramyeon & rice cakes.


a heartwarming meal with the our korean friends (& they are twins!)


a cosy restaurant with a funky touch of wall graffitis.
You've got to visit Yoogane in Korea!
(Psst...we have it in Singapore too!)
But if price matters, try it in Korea.

Gyeran Bbang (Egg Bread Street Food)

Who says you can't have sweet & savoury together?
The Egg Bread definitely proved us wrong!



Just imagine a hard-boiled egg wrapped within a sweet pancake batter, 
this was a heavenly match.
At just 2,500 KRW, this was a steal to get!
We couldn't stop craving for it ever since we had our very first one.
There are 2 flavors available:
Original one without toppings OR
with sunflower seeds & everything nice.

Eat it while it's steamin' hot!

Hotteok (Sweet Korean Pancakes..in a cup!)


Not the best shot definitely, because who can simply resist sweet Korean pancakes while it's hot?
I couldn't wait to chew on it the moment it landed in my hands!
Soft and fluffy, the cinnamon brown sugar filling flows out upon the first bite.
The texture of this simply reminds me of hot pancakes with Canadian maple syrup as it melts on the surface of the pancakes.
A street food love when it's cold and chilly!
However...it might not be much of a liking to people who aren't sweet-tooth lovers!

Kimchi(Fermented Napa Cabbage)

When you are already in the land of Kimchi, you can't miss out on Kimchi!
I love kimchi, like I really do.
My chopsticks will never stop when kimchi is placed in front of me.

Pajeon (Green/Spring Onion Pancakes)


This pancake totally blew me away.
So soft & fluffy, I could only think of Roti Prata when I took my first bite.
Not to mention that I dislike spring onions, this surprisingly fitted my tastebuds!
Huge portion and perfect for sharing between 2-3 pax!

Chicken Ginseng Soup(Samgyetang)

I always thought Ginseng Chicken was just a chicken in the ginseng broth.
Talk about being simple minded.
I was surprised when I found a generous serving of glutinous rice stuffed within the chicken!


It was so smooth and chewy, definitely filling as well.


And I guess this is where the biggest portion of the price went to.
A huge ginseng within the soup.
I bet this would be our mums' favorite seeing such premium ingredients.



Of course, I had my Ginseng chicken at the ever so popular Tosokchon!

Chocolate Churros...anyone?

This was so good.
I loved the churros from Universal Studios Singapore.
Coated with cinnamon sugar makes it even better.

But now drizzled with chocolate and dusting sugar?
It definitely made the match.
I stood there watching the staff make my churros ON THE SPOT.
& frying them ON THE SPOT.
So when you get them?
It's HOT and couldn't get any better!

Hot warm chocolate sauce that is absorbed by the fried dough.
Biting it off make you go,"Ohhh it's hot but it's so good!!"
yup that's how I reacted.
big thumbs up for sweet treats!

Hotstone Mixed Rice(Dolsot Bibimbap) 

My never ending love for bibimbap.
What's better when it's Dolsot Bibimbap!
I love it when I could mix the rice around and it feels like I'm cooking the rice..when it's already cooked actually.
Not the best, but definitely satisfies my craving!

Breakfast sandwich...Isaac Toast

Deciding for breakfast gave us a huge headache every single mornings.
Our tummy could not settle for hot & spicy stuffs in the morning,
a full meal,
neither do we want to settle for some convenience stores snacks when that's for supper.

Isaac Toast perfectly met our needs!
This has been one of the highly raved cafe by other fellow bloggers about their fluffy, flavourful toasts!
We had ours over at Ewha Women's University before we started our shopping spree!



I got myself the Ham Special Toast while Winni got the Hot Chicken flavored one.
It was really good!
Buttery aroma, with a moist yet slight crunchy texture to it when served hot.
It doesn't leave your tastebuds oily too after finishing it!

Bubble Tea


The weather in Korea makes it so hard to resist a good cup of chilled drinks.
What beats a good cup of blueberry yoghurt drink and taro milk tea with tapioca pearls?
My apologies for not remembering the name of the bubble tea store, but here's the design of the cup holder!
Perfect to prevent heat stroke, PERFECT.

Summer sweet treat..Waffles topped with Mangoes

Most of us(probably) love waffles with ice cream, especially when the waffles are hot and crispy,
the ice cream scoop melts and seeps into the squares of the waffles acting like a spoon.
Open your mouth.
Chew it.




Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, Beans Bins despite being a common chain of cafes,
the quality of the ice cream waffle did not disappoint.
Topped with a scoop of Haagen Dazs Mango Ice Cream & Mango cubes,
it was sure a tropical summer sweet treat!

Toppoki(Hot & Spicy Rice Cakes)

What to do in when you're in Korea?
Live like a Korean!
Trying out street side stalls are one of the best experience we ever had in Seoul.
Chilly night, with street side stalls lined alongside of the road.
Smoke emitting out from the tentages.
Ahjummas busy stir-frying toppoki, cooking fish cake, 
customers standing round the stall and enjoying their dinner.


For 3,000KRW, the portion was good for 2!

Paris Baguette

In Singapore, we go woah at Paris Baguette.
Well apparently in Seoul, PB is everywhere.
But the selection really made me go woah.
Bread lovers, this is for you!


I've got a blueberry bagel to fill up those empty stomachs of ours.


And how can we forget our favorite banana milk?
But... choco milk was for me.
:)

That's all for part 1 now!
Goodbye,
cynnie.


No comments:

Post a Comment