Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Monochrome Fusion Bistro: When Western meets Asian

I love cafes that gives off a cosy feel.
With orange lightings, fluffy cushions, chalk boards, cushioned seats, coloured walls or walls with paintings and decor hung up.

Hey, wait a minute.
This cafe is so not the usual cafes that we see.
Think Monochrome; & you think of Monochrome Fusion Bistro.
Located at South Bridge Road, this cafe can be easily found beside Maxwell Food Centre.
It is situated between Tanjong Pagar and Chinatown MRT station, making it much more accessible from either MRT stations.


A modern, sophisticated outlook, this cafe gives off a classy yet simplistic ambience.
With everything black & white, I was really curious what this cafe have to offer.


Even the white walls have paintings, but the paintings are black and white too.


Tasting partner of the day - Zipeng! (@zippyzipeng)
Thanks to him for the invite :)


If you have been to Thailand(which I have never been to before sigh pie), their menu is designed like a magazine which makes it a really refreshing concept from the usual menus we have!
I've heard that such concepts are used as brochures/pamphlets in Thailand too, is it?
Well, I guess I need to find out soon!


Busy "moving the furnitures of the cafe" to get the perfect artsy fartsy shot


Ta-dah!
Mocha & Iced mocha for the day to kill the heat.
On a side note, I love how the cafe is decorated with polaroids making the cafe more homely & lovely.

TIME FOR FOOD.

Did someone say...Truffle Fries?

If I see truffle fries on the menu, I'm not letting go of the menu until I order it.
Served pipin' hot to our table, the smell of truffle oil was so detectable at a sniff.
Definitely what I look for when having truffle fries!

Recently listed as one of the recommended Truffle Fries by thehoneycombers.com,
I would recommend getting this to kickstart your meal!

 Squid Ink Risotto


I love eating Risotto actually, but I was honestly worried when we decided to try the Squid Ink Risotto.
My worry? Black teeth stain HAHAH.
But we decided on it anyway, and I really loved the presentation of it.
Topped with pan-seared scallops, this was acceptable but not the main highlight of our meal.
We prefer a slightly moister risotto which this was a tad bit dryer.
But having enquired the co-owner of the cafe, their Risotto is designed to be slightly dryer such that diners who are not fans of traditional Risotto can try this dish!
So non-lovers of Risotto, you might want to give this a go.

 Chili Crab Linguine

Thinking about SG50, this dish definitely reminded me of Singapore.
I love eating pasta and Linguine is one of my fav.
And with a chili crab base?
It's a must order!

I loved how the linguine goes well with the texture of the chili crab sauce(similar to a tomato sauce texture), accentuating the flavor of the chili crab sauce.
I failed to try the soft shell crab though, which Zipeng kind of liked it so I'm guessing it's well-cooked!
Just look at the crunchiness of the soft shell crab...makes me want to have it so badly too :(

 Pizza with an Asian Twist...Pork Belly Pizza!

This...I couldn't have enough of this.
The highlight of our food-tasting lunch.
We were so close to not ordering it judging by the amount we ordered, but we are glad we did!
I am not a fan of pork belly because it usually leaves me feeling queasy.
But this did not leave me with that after feeling.
The pizza crust was on point, crispy, yet it doesn't turn soft like how some pizzas do after being left cold for a while.
It remained flavourful even when it was no longer hot, and the crust just made me want to have more.
Pizza or non-pizza lovers, this is a must-try in my opinion!


 With that...

No one ends a meal without some sweet treats.

Churrofles anyone?


In Universal Studios Singapore, I would never fail to get their churros topped with cinnamon sugar.
I love waffles too, especially with ice-cream...I need no more description about it.
How about the marriage of churros and waffles?
The perfect idea!

Churrofles topped with caramelised bananas, Vanilla Ice Cream and assuming some meringue crumbs on top of the ice cream,
this waffle was well-balanced.
The waffle ain't too sweet, yet complemented with the sweetness of the ice-cream, so you don't get sick of it...until you finish the entire thing.
I bet this taste way better when it's hot though, ours got soggy and chewy because we took too long to take photos of it.
My bad, lesson learnt!

Being just a 5 months old cafe, I believe this cafe has reached a certain level of standard and with their earnest thoughts to improve on the quality of the food,
I see much potential in this cafe!
Definitely returning for more of their pizzas!

Look for them at:

Monochrome Fusion Bistro

Address: 291 South Bridge Rd, 058836
Contact: 6221 1798
Opening Hours: 12pm-10pm (Mon-Sun)

Let me know your reviews about them!

goodbye,
cynnie.



No comments:

Post a Comment