Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sawadeeka, dessert for you?

Today is an exceptionally free day. My meeting in school was cancelled so here I am to fill this space with what I did today: Thai Ruby Dessert.

Thai Ruby Dessert actually consists of water chestnut that is coated with corn starch(?) and floats* in the coconut soup base.
floats* because I don't know what other word I could use to describe :p

So how did I finally try this dessert when I wasn't a big fan of water chestnut? Because I was dumb enough in the past to think that it was bubur chacha(which is my favorite) and it looks so colorful that I couldn't take my eyes off it!!
And so I tried.
Fell in love with it.
The End.

Not exactly The End, cause I cooked it today!
Let's get cooking:

First of all, wash your water chestnuts as its coated with full of MUD! You don't want to eat mud into your tummy right? Wash it clean and best is to use a scrub to scrub off all the mud that's stained on it.

Tadah! That's the "clean" water chestnuts. But that's not the end, cause you don't eat those skin into your tummy too right :) SHAVE IT OFF!



I had to make the water chestnuts naked... so yes look at it.



See the pot below? Pour in 300ml of water and mix it with 200g worth of sugar. Boil it with minimal heat to ensure the sugar is fully dissolved!

Add in pandan leave as well to enhance the smell and tastiness :p


Mix 600ml of water with a packet of coconut milk or fresh coconut milk. And you get something like that at the bottom. Boil it!


Oh, please add in pandan leaves too to make the coconut taste even more enhancing! :)


Cut the water chestnuts into cubes and use colorings to "color" the water chestnut cubes! My apologies that there's no photo for that.

But, it should look something like that in the picture below. Place it in a container filled with the corn flour/starch thingy. 
And you... shake it to mix it! You can even do HARLEM SHAKE for that if you feel like it at home.


So all the coated water chestnut cubes looks like that. Sieve it if you do not want the cubes to be too starchy or too thick!



Boil it in water.



Scoop it up.



Place it in iced water! 
DO NOT PUT IT STRAIGHT INTO THE COCONUT SOUP BASE.

Remember the sugar water earlier on? Place the boiled chestnut cubes into the sugar water to allow the cubes to absorb the sweetness! 
You can then consume it immediately or even place it in the refrigerator if you want to enjoy the dessert cold.

And, that's it! The final product, look below :)


Made filled with love, this is definitely a dessert that families would love to eat together crowding around the dining table like how my mum, sis and I did :)
It's easy, simple and simply yummy to cook it. Do try it out!! :)

And to end off with a note, please DO TAKE PRECAUTION WHILE SHAVING OFF THE CHESTNUT'S SKIN. 
You DO NOT WANT to end up like this :


Have fun cooking and do it with love❤!

goodbye & God Bless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment